- Restricting fat intake does not necessarily mean you will lose weight. Trans fats from processed foods turn on the metabolites that cause decreased metabolism and increased inflammation. This leads to diabetes. Omega-3 fats from fish oil, seaweed, flax and walnuts turns on the messages that lead to increased metabolism and weight loss. AVOID TRANS FATS AND EAT LOTS OF OMEGA-3 FATS!
- Carbohydrates are not necessarily bad. Like fats, though, it matters which carbs you eat. Carbs are the source of vitamins, minerals and Phytonutrients. They are the most important item for long term health. However, processed foods (foods from cans and boxes, and foods with white sugar and flour) are full of bad carbs, and again lead to diabetes. The best carbs are colorful vegetables that grow above ground, especially the green leafy ones.
- When you skip breakfast, are not very physically active throughout the day, then eat a lot and go to bed you gain weight because your metabolism slows at night and all of those late calories are stored as fat! I believe one of the best ways to start the day is with a concentrated green food dose that will give you 5 servings of the very best carbs. I recommend Garden of Life’s Perfect Food. For people with food cravings a second dose later in the day when the cravings hit is a great idea.
- When measuring cholesterol it is important to remember that not all cholesterol is equal. HDL is a good cholesterol that does not clog arteries and removes bad cholesterol as it moves through your circulatory system. LDL is the bad cholesterol that clogs arteries. A high level of cholesterol is apparently not a problem when the ratio of HDL/LDL is favorable. There is much discussion of what a high cholesterol level is. It is widely agreed, however, that an HDL level of 60 is very good and at that level the incidence of heart disease is vastly reduced relative to a level of 30.
- In the end it is more the foods you eat and their quality than the amount of food you eat when you seek to lose weight and become more healthy
Finally, we have the FucoThin product from Garden of Life for $38 a bottle. This product is a natural, whole food based supplement that increases the body’s metabolic rate. That means you burn more fat. Taken in conjunction with a proper diet, and exercise program it will let you be successful at the weight loss challenge.
Contact us if you are ready to get serious about weight loss and your health!