Dietary supplements are a hot topic. Some people feel as though they could not live without them. Others feel as though supplements are a money grabbing hoax. There are people who believe that the FDA should control supplements, just as they control medications. There is always a bill in Congress to put supplements under the control of the FDA, but there are always congress people who fight valiantly to keep supplements away from the FDA. Consumer Reports writes articles urging people to consult with their family doctor before taking any supplements. Other magazines urge people to take any number of supplements based on their age, or their symptoms.
So, what is the truth? As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle. I ask myself, why would I want the FDA to be in control of supplements? After all, they do such a poor job of monitoring prescription medications that people die daily, if not hourly from those medications. Yet, I realize that not all supplements are created equal. Some are contaminated. Some simply do not have the ingredients that they claim to have. It would be nice to know which are which.
As a chiropractor, who often helps practice members with their dietary concerns, I prescribe supplements. I also have people bring bags of supplements in to my office that they bought on their own. When that happens, I test them with each supplement they bring. Never, I repeat never, do the people who bring in bags of supplements test well for even a half of what they bring. The problem may be that their supplements are of poor quality. The problem may be that they simply do not need a particular supplement, even if it is of high quality. Bottom line, many people need help with buying supplements.
There are a few supplements that nearly everybody should take. There are also supplements that I see a need for a lot more than others. With those points in mind, here is my list of “Top Ten Supplements.”
10. Hypo-D – Hypo-D is a Nutri-West product. I use a lot of Nutri-West and Standard Process products. I trust them to have pure and potent products. We live in a society that has been overrun by “Little Purple Pills” and other acid blockers. These make digestion worse, and make you a slave to them for life. Hypo-D is a hydrochloric acid product, with enzymes, designed to start the digestion process and allow the body to relearn that process. What a concept, allow the body to learn, adapt and heal!
9. GB Plus – Another Nutri-West product, GB Plus is designed to push the body’s natural fat digestion process. Among the people who need this supplement are the masses that have had their gall bladder removed. The best case scenario is to take this product before the gall bladder becomes so energetically challenged some doctor suggests it be removed.
8. Spanish Black Radish – This is a Standard Process product that helps detoxification through multiple pathways. It provides sulfur, vitamins and minerals that stimulate better immune function. We see so many chronically ill people and this is often a part of their recovery process.
7. Wheat Germ Oil – Another Standard Process product that serves many purposes. Scars are a factor that can diminish the effect of chiropractic adjustments. Wheat Germ Oil is great for scars, thus adjustments. It also can be effective at correcting fatty acid imbalance in the body.
6. Coconut Oil – If you have not been under a rock, you have probably noticed the explosion of coconut products in the marketplace. Why did this happen? Simple, coconuts are one of nature’s best foods. The list of benefits from eating coconut oil is quite long. It is truly the healthy fat, and in a world where so many people eat too many hydrogenated fats it can restore the fatty acid balance.
5. Fish Oil – Once upon a time people got their meat from animals that roamed around all day eating naturally. That meat was rich in long chain Omega 3 fatty acids. Now most of the meat in stores comes from animals that are penned up eating grains. The result is no long chain omega 3 fatty acids. We need these fatty acids for our brains, and to prevent our body chemistry from producing inflammation. Though we could get the fatty acids from eating fish, toxic levels of contaminants in fish make this perilous. A good fish oil will have the contaminants removed. Beware of cheap fish oils!
4. DSF – Most of us realize that this is a pathologically stressful world. I do not mean just emotional stress. Our incredibly toxic environment creates chemical stress. Poor sleep and too much sitting create physical stress. The adrenal glands enable us to adapt to stress, until they get worn down. Burned out adrenal glands are one of the most common conditions I see. DSF, from Nutri-West, rebuilds the adrenal glands.
3. Super Green Formula – I have used “Perfect Food” by Garden of Life for over a decade. It is concentrated sprouted green foods (like broccoli). Studies show that the vast majority of Americans do not eat enough vegetables. One scoop a day is equal to 5 servings of green vegetables, and all of the nutrition in those vegetables. This is the very best vitamin supplement there is, it acidifies the blood, and it has probiotics, too!
2. Probiotics – Very serious research universities have made the assertion that 70% of the immune system is in the gut. Probiotics are the good bacteria in the gut. When they are outnumbered by the bad bacteria the immune system will be weak. Poor diets and toxic overload make probiotics a necessity for most people.
1. Vitamin D – As I have often said, “You’d have to be crazy not to take vitamin D!”
Vitamin D3 is involved in thousands of cellular processes. The body just does not function as well when we are low on D, and very few people synthesize enough of it to have adequate levels. Go to my website to read more about this amazing vitamin/hormone.
I told you earlier about the practice members who bring bags of supplements into my office, only to find that most of them are not good for them. Hopefully you will not read this and run out and buy a bunch of supplements. I do not prescribe supplements according to people’s symptoms. As a chiropractor, I prescribe according to the function of the spine, the nervous system, and their associated organs, glands and systems.
Too many supplements can be bad, but most of us need some supplements. Most of us need help finding out what supplements we really need. That is part of what I do. I realize the chiropractic adjustment for vertebral subluxation works better in a body that has proper nutrition. Your nutrition works better when your nervous system is well-adjusted and functioning at a high level. We need to be adjusted in order to function at our highest level.
The correction of vertebral subluxation, by chiropractic adjustment, allows the body to heal and function at a higher level. It is the first step in dealing with this pathologically stressful life. Once you are getting adjusted we can work on your nutrition deficiencies and excesses that contribute to your subluxations. The result will be a nervous system that functions better and a better life for you and those around you.
If you like what you read please recommend it to a friend! There is a wellness revolution happening, and it is up to all of us to help spread the word. You can help by sending this to everyone you know who is less healthy than they would like.