YES – Prop 37: Label GMOs
Your Right to Know What You Are Eating
GMO stands for Genetically Modified Organisms and are created by large Chemical Companies:
- Monsanto (also maker of DDT, Agent Orange, PCBs, (rGBH) Bovine Growth Hormone)
- Dow Agro.
How are GMOs made?
- 1. By taking genes from one species and forcing into the genome of another species. The two would NEVER mate in nature.
- Most people think it is an exact science. Not so. 100-1000s of mutations occur during the process.
- Typically a virus is used (promoter) to access the cell nucleus (DNA location) & change genes. Result: Foreign DNA not in nature, body does not recognize as food, instead as an invader – – autoimmune & inflammatory reactions occur – – diseases: cancer, heart disease, infertility…
- The virus (promoter) is still in your food. You eat it, its still active. It can change your genes too.
- Human + corn = corn producing spermacide
- Corn + Bacteria (Bt Corn) = toxin (pesticide) producing corn:
- Causes insect’s stomachs to burst open.
- Studies show Bt corn causes human cells to burst open. Normal human bacteria in gut flora can take up this ability and start producing the toxin in our own intestines – – your own intestine becomes a pesticide factory.
This isn’t Science Fiction; it true and has been increasing in our food supply since 1996.
GMO in our foods in 4 Main ways:
- Plants produce their own toxic insecticide (Bt Corn/ Cotton)
- Herbicide tolerant: sprayed with large amounts of herbicides (if they can tolerate more pesticides, the chemical companies can sell more pesticides – 320 million more lbs/ yr on GMO crops verses non-GMO crops).
- (Round-Up, which binds nutrients of plants, choking them to death; it binds your nutrients too. 70x higher birth defect rate in Agricultural areas where used.)
- Lab animals: Rats showed damage to ovaries, uterus, sperm cells, testicles, DNA
- When animals are given a choice, they automatically choose toe eat Non-GMO foods
- Farmers report significant behavioral difference when livestock fed Non-GMO foods (happier).
- Plants & animals grow faster: i.e. Salmon now growing 30x faster than nature’s way.
- Co-patented with USDA: “Terminator” technology makes seeds sterile, scary because nature crosspollinates (gene can be transferred to wild plant species).
Why isn’t the FDA stopping this if it is so dangerous? Unfortunately not only is there significant lobbying (lots of money “donated”). Monsanto has directly supported at least 65 candidates for federal office in 2012 with significant $$$ “donated.”
In addition, the people in charge at the FDA are the SAME people in charge for the large chemical companies. Examples (this is just a few):
- Michael Taylor is FDA Deputy Commissioner for Bush & Obama/ also Former Monsanto Attorney & Vice President
- Roger Beachy is the Director for the USDA NIFA (2009 Obama) & Director, Danforth Center (Monsanto)
- Ann Veneman: U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, 2001 & also Board of Director, Monsanto Subsidiary)
FDA has not conducted a single independent test of any genetically engineered product.
- Over 50 other countries (entire EU, Australia, China, Russia, Japan, many more. . . ) require GMO labeling.
But U.S. and Canada don’t?
- Monsanto’s director, Phillip Angell – “Monsanto should not have to vouch for the safety of biotech food. Our interest is in selling as much as possible. Assuring safety is the FDA’s job.”
- FDA’s Statement of Policy on GMOs – “Ultimately it is the food producer who is responsible for assuring safety.”
- Monsanto’s mission: To replace all natural seed, have all global agriculture driven by GMO seed & to create a market for the chemicals associated with these seeds. Sell more products (chemicals and patentable seeds – create a monopoly on the world’s food supply).
- Biotech companies say it is the best technology out there to feed the world.
Currently there is 1.5x the amount of food needed to feed the world: It’s an access problem, not a supply.
They say GMOs increase yield, but they grow same as organic, except in times of drought. Organic crops constantly outperform GMO crops (because mother nature makes the plant strong with compounds that actually increase our health – – imagine that!)
Non-GMOs crops yield higher in quantity & quality.
This is also very sad: Monsanto says it increases farmer’s profits and makes them more sustainable. But in reality Monsanto is suing and indebting many farmers in the U.S. and in other countries. The results has been many suicides of farmers in India and Indonesia, and “enslaved” farmers in the U.S.
Friend or foe? Who’s lying to you? Long list of “organic” and “natural” companies have donated millions in opposition against this food labeling law.
- Odwalla, Honest Tea, Simply Orange (Coca Cola): $ 1.2 Mil
- Kashi, Gardenburger, Morning Star (Kellogg): $632,000
- Cascadian Farms, Larabar (General Mills): $520,000
- R.W. Knudson, Santa Cruz Organics (Smuckers): $387,000
- Horizon Organic Milk, Silk Soy Milk (Dean Foods): $250,000
- Dupont: $1.27 Mil +
- Dow Agro: $1.2 Mil +
- Monsanto: $ 7.1 Mil +
Why is it such a big deal in California?
- California is the 8th largest economy in the world.
- Large supplier of agricultural products to country and world.
- This is a ballot initiative, people vote on it directly instead of corrupt politicians being paid off.
Yes on Prop 37 – Label your food.
You have a right to know what you are eating and how it affects you and your loved ones!
If GMOs are so great, as the biotech companies claim they are, why don’t they want to label them?
Highly recommend you watch this movie, it will change your life!
Other great resources for more information:
Leave a Reply