Homocysteine is a natural substance made by the body. It provides fuel for liver detoxification, adrenal gland support, neurotransmitter support and joint repair. If not completely broken down, it becomes a dangerous substance that harms the body and contributes to disease. Homocysteine’s toxic effects have been documented on the heart, liver, adrenals, joints, nerves, and blood vessels.
Research papers have been written on the following conditions and their relationship to homocysteine:
- Depression; American Journal of Psychology, Psychosomatics, Journal of Affective Disorders
- Heart disease; Journal of the American Medical Association, New England Journal of Medicine, The American Heart Association
- Preeclampsia, low birth weight, and birth defects; American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Osteoporosis; Metabolism, Journal of the American Medical Association
- Multiple Sclerosis; The Townsend Letter for Doctors
High homocysteine levels have also been linked to:
- Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis
- Type II diabetes and renal failure
- Spontaneous abortion
The good news is that there is a solution for homocysteine toxicity. Homocysteine must be broken down in the body so that it does not harm you. Several nutrients are critical to the breakdown of homocysteine. We sell a product, Homocysteine Redux, which supplies the nutrients required for breakdown. This, however, is only part of the solution. For long-term health it is necessary to address the conditions that cause homocysteine to accumulate.
Many drugs deplete crucial nutrients needed for homocysteine breakdown. These include aspirin, alcohol, antibiotics; some cholesterol, asthma, and blood pressure drugs. Also birth control pills and corticosteroids. Processed foods, including flour and sugar are also culprits. Microwave ovens destroy vital nutrients, as does boiling food. Stress and excessive exercise have also been implicated in the depletion of B vitamins.
A diet rich in fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, fresh meats and whole grains helps to sustain appropriate levels of nutrients needed to breakdown homocysteine. Supplementation is often necessary. Most important is to keep the nervous system and the body communicating at peak efficiency. This communication is what chiropractic adjustments accomplish. A healthy nervous system, operating at or near 100% is the key to disease prevention of all types. Research has shown us that families that get adjusted are healthier.
If you want to be tested for homocysteine toxicity, please tell your chiropractor.