Everyone has heard, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” Well, its true. But, to receive the full benefits of eating apples you should eat at least one a day. The average American eats one a week. Are you above average? The following are some of the health benefits of eating apples:
- Tannins in apples may help prevent gum disease.
- Fiber in apples helps to lower cholesterol, improve bowel function, reduces the risk of ischemic heart disease, stroke and prostate cancer, type II diabetes and asthma.
- Phytonutrients in apples have been clinically shown to help reduce the incidence of lung cancer and the damaging effects of “bad” LDL cholesterol.
- A Mayo Clinic study indicated that quercitin, a flavonoid abundant in apples, helps prevent the growth of prostate cancer cells.
- A Cornell University study indicated that phytochemicals in the skin of the apple inhibited the reproduction of colon cancer cells by 43%.
- The National Cancer Institute has reported that flavonoids like those found in apples may reduce the risk of lung cancer by as much as 50%.
- Apples are full of antioxidants, chemicals that prevent free radical cell and tissue damage in the body. Two British studies believe that the antioxidant properties of 5 apples per week lowered the risk of respiratory disease and improved lung function. A study in the Netherlands singled out apples as a food that could cut smoker’s risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Several studies have indicated that a diet rich in flavonoids, such as those found in apples may help prevent heart disease and strokes.
- Researchers at the University of California-Davis reported that two apples a day significantly slow the process that leads to life-threatening plaque buildup from cholesterol.
Apples are not only good for you, but they taste good! Two-thirds of the fiber in apples, half of the vitamin C, and a lot of the antioxidants are in the peel, so don’t peel your apple. And, there are only 81 calories in an apple, making it the perfect food for those who want to lose weight. The 5 grams of fiber in an apple is more than most cereals, and there is almost no fat in the apple. So, what are you waiting for? Have an apple every day, get adjusted and know you are in the top 10% of people who are pro-active about their health!
Leave a Reply